Departmental Honors (DH) is an Advanced Scholarship track of Commonwealth Honors College (CHC). Students may complete DH as part of the full CHC curriculum, which includes Honors General Studies, or they may complete DH alone. All DH students are members of CHC.
Successful completion of the DH course requirements with minimum grades of B (or as specified below) and the submission of a properly formatted Honors Thesis or Project manuscript (minimum grade of B for Seminar manuscripts) will result in the award of "Departmental Honors" on the student's academic transcript. For information about DH, speak with your Honors Program Director and see Admission Process below. For information about the full CHC Curriculum see http://www.honors.umass.edu/curriculum.
General Admission Criteria
• UMass Amherst students who are not already members of Commonwealth Honors College (CHC) must apply to Departmental Honors (DH), an Advanced Scholarship CHC sub-plan, via the CHC online application using the following link.
• Students who are already members of CHC meet with the department’s Honors Program Director (HPD) regarding their interest in joining Departmental Honors (DH), an Advanced Scholarship CHC sub-plan. The HPD will determine a student's eligibility and preparedness for DH. Admission to DH will be at the discretion of the HPD based on the criteria as established by the department and CHC (see Admission Criteria above). The HPD will notify the CHC office of newly accepted DH students so appropriate steps can be taken to designate the sub-plan on SPIRE.
○ Individually contracted: RES-ECON 499Y Honors Research and RES-ECON 499T Honors Thesis
○ Seminar: RES-ECON 499N and RES-ECON 499O Implementing Sustainability and Social Responsibility in Today’s Economy
○ Alternate Honors Thesis or Project Seminar: as approved by Honors Program Director