Upon acceptance to UMass Amherst, transfer students are eligible for Commonwealth Honors College membership if they meet the criteria in one of the categories outlined below. Meeting these minimum requirements is not a guarantee of admission to the Honors College.
1. If you have completed two or more full-time college terms AND:
- have completed at least four courses per term there that are viewed as academic courses by the University of Massachusetts Amherst AND
- have completed each term at the previous school with a minimum GPA of 3.500.
2. If you have completed less than two full-time college terms AND:
- have a combined SAT score of 1300 or higher AND
- were ranked in the top 10% of your high school class AND
- had a weighted high school GPA of "A-" or higher (calculated only on courses viewed as "academic" courses by the University of Massachusetts).
Transfer students who receive an invitation to join Commonwealth Honors College should meet with an honors advisor during the summer and winter New Students Orientations to review the specific requirements in effect at the time of their admission and to sign a contract confirming their membership. Students who are invited to join Commonwealth Honors College but who are unable to attend the New Students Orientation will be notified of an alternate date for contract signing after the semester has begun.
Transfer students who do not meet the above criteria at the time of their university admission may seek membership in Commonwealth Honors College through the current student application processs.