Students enrolled in a honors thesis or project of any kind are expected to document their work. This documentation must take the form of a thesis or project manuscript conforming to Commonwealth Honors College content and formatting requirements below.
Students seeking honors distinction upon graduation are required to submit their manuscripts to the Honors College office for forwarding to the W.E.B. DuBois Library archives.
The honors thesis and project manuscripts traditionally include the components below. However, the thesis instructor/committee may authorize adjustments to number 3-8 to meet professional standards set by the department.
*Project manuscripts can be a variety of styles depending upon the professional format appropriate to the field of study:
While manuscripts must be minimally in the 5-10 page range, actual length and scope are at the discretion of the instructor/comittee.
The honors thesis or project manuscripts must meet minimum quality standards for submission to the University Archives. These standards, along with some examples, are addressed in the sections below.
TITLE PAGE AND ABSTRACT PAGES
Please use the appropriate template from our FORMS page to format your title and abstract pages. Remember to have your 499 instructor(s) review your work and sign the title page with their approval.
- Paper: clean, white, 8.5 x 11 inch, of consistent quality and weight
- Pages: loose and unbound; double-sided is acceptable if paper is not too transparent
- Margins: set to 1 inch on each side
- Page numbering: consecutively, beginning after the title and abstract pages
- Font: consistent type and size throughout (e.g., Times Roman 12 pt)
- Spacing: double-spaced (exceptions: block quotes, footnotes, itemized or tabular material)
- Style manual: if used, it must be used consistently throughout (e.g., Psych APA, English MLA, Chicago, etc.)
Note: the Appendix section is exempt from the requirements above
MS Word users: for helpful tips on formatting Table of Contents, page numbering, references, bibliographies, etc., refer to our handout "Formatting your 499 Manuscript using MS Word 2010."
Artifacts such as CDs or videotapes must be labeled with:
Student's last name, first name
Date the manuscript is submitted
SUBMITTING YOUR MANUSCRIPT TO THE HONORS COLLEGE
Please refer to our "499 Manuscript Submission" web page for info related to grading and submission deadlines as well as submission options.