What is an abstract?
An abstract is a brief, written synopsis of the topic being presented. It highlights the major points covered while concisely describing the content and scope of the work. The abstract should be a maximum of 250 words.
When a student “Submits an abstract,” they have registered in the MassURC online system and submitted an abstract with presentation details for review. The faculty sponsor then needs to approve for acceptance to present.
When and how to submit an abstract?
Abstract Submission Deadline: Friday, February 15, 2019 (all deadlines are until 11:59 p.m.)
- Create a user account in the MassURC online system (opens January 14)
- Confirm your account by checking your email
- Log back into the system to complete all steps for abstract submission
- Click Submit abstract
Until you click the “Submit” button, your faculty sponsor will not be notified that your abstract is ready for their review, nor will you be considered to present at the Undergraduate Research Conference
Once you submit your abstract:
- Your faculty sponsor will receive an email notification at the email address you provided when applying, and will be able to review your abstract to either mark it “Approved” or “Needs Revisions.”
- Your faculty sponsor has until Friday, February 22, 2019 to review and mark the abstract
- If your abstract status is “Needs Revisions,” you have until Wednesday, February 27, 2019 to make any necessary revisions and re-submit your abstract to your faculty sponsor to do a final review.
- Your final abstract must be marked "Approved" by your faculty sponsor no later than Friday, March 1, 2019 for you to be considered to present.
- At any point your faculty sponsor marks your abstract “Approved,” there is nothing further for you to do until you receive notification from the MassURC Coordinator that your abstract has been accepted. This notification will go out on Friday, March 29, 2019 and will include the format, time, and location of your presentation.
Important information for those with group presentations:
- If you plan to present as a group, one student must serve as the group leader. The group leader is the student who submits the abstract on behalf of the group.
- ALL group members must register in the system independently, and the group leader is responsible for sending each registered group member an invitation to join the group through the MassURC system.
- Each invited group member must accept the invitation to be identified as a group member
Any group member who is NOT registered in the system and accepted into the group will not be emailed presenter updates for the conference, listed in conference materials, nor registered as a presenter for the day of the conference. Therefore, it is essential for the group leader to make sure that ALL group members are identified with the abstract submission in the MassURC system. This must be complete by Wednesday, February 27, 2019, which is the final deadline for abstract revisions.